A recent study published by the journal, Clinical Rheumatology, discovered that there was a very high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in Indian individuals with subacute and chronic low back pain.
Researchers from this study explored the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in subacute low back pain (SLBP) patients and chronic low back pain (CLBP) patients from November of 2016 to January of 2017. They included a total of 250 CLBP patients, 177 SLBP patients and 248 individuals without any back pain.
Researchers measured back pain using the visual analog scale (VAS), with higher VAS scores indicating more severe back pain. Functional independence of CLBP and SLPB patients was assessed using the Modified Oswestry Disability Questionnaire (MODQ), with higher scores indicating increased disability. Additionally, vitamin D levels were assessed at baseline of the study.
This is what the researchers found:
- Average vitamin D levels among CLBP, SLBP and controls were 20.36 (±12.56), 21.42 (±13.20) and 20.84 (±6.93) ng/ml, respectively.
- Individuals with CLBP were 8.79 times more likely to have severe vitamin D deficiency (<16 ng/ml) than control patients (OR: 8.79; p< 0.001).
- Individuals with SLBP were 6.16 times more likely to have severe vitamin D deficiency than control patients ( OR: 6.16; p< 0.001).
- MODQ scores were inversely associated with vitamin D deficiency in CLBP patients but not SLBP patients (p=0.005).
The researchers concluded:
“…Categorical analysis of severity of deficiency showed that the cases had significantly higher number of subjects having increasingly severe forms of vitamin D deficiency (moderately severe and severe) while controls had significantly higher number of subjects with milder form of vitamin D deficiency (marginal)..”
“…Increasing severity of vitamin D deficiency appears to play a role in the pathogenesis of CLBP and SLBP.”
1. Exercise and depression Blood flow is increased to the brain from exercise and this releases endorphins, the body’s natural
How is sunshine good for me? Sun exposure is good for our bodies as long as we don’t burn. Sunshine
Northern Light February 22, 2014 at 8:47 PM My chronic hives began last April of 2013. Since finding Dr.
1. Vitamin D is inextricably linked to your overall health. “Low vitamin D status is linked to a number of
(Natural News) As America grapples with alleviating the opioid addiction crisis that killed more than 30,000 people in the country
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN VITAMIN D IS LOW IN YOUR BODY Dr. Scott Schreiber Dr. Lisa Ashe, the medical director of
New trial aims to find mechanism underlying low vitamin D and increased breast cancer risk A recent randomized controlled trial
(NaturalNews) Vitamin D is one of the most important vitamins needed by our bodies to maintain
Would you believe that the majority of the population — up to 90% of adults in the United States —
Vitamin D is referred to as the sunshine vitamin. This is incorrect; it is not a vitamin in the
About 1 billion people are estimated to have vitamin D deficiency. In the US, the majority of the population
Here is a recent email exchange between me and a cardiac surgeon from Italy who cured his ulcerative colitis